If you need enterprise-level web hosting control, then Plesk has to be near to the top of your list. It’s certainly near the top of everyone else’s, thanks to its straightforward tolls for managing websites and servers. It’s a versatile beast too, as it works on both Linux and Windows operating systems. You get a web server suite, mail server, FTP server, dns management tools, and 100+ extensions that you can use in order to improve the performance of your server. You’ll need to buy a license to get the most out of the platform, but Plesk offers a free trial license so you can take it for a test drive and see if it does everything that you hoped for.
To install Plesk you will need a “clean” Linux server with access to the Internet and compliant with Plesk requirements. Just in case you have already used your Linux server for hosting purposes – please uninstall any existing instances of Apache, MySQL, Cyrus, SELinux and PHP. There are 5 different ways on how to install Plesk:
- Install Plesk in One Click
- Install Plesk Using Browser
- Install Plesk via CLI
- Install Plesk Using ISO-images
- Install Plesk via Web Installer
Install Plesk in One Click
In order to install Plesk Onyx with a basic list of components you need to run the following command:
# sh <(curl https://autoinstall.plesk.com/one-click-installer || wget -O - https://autoinstall.plesk.com/one-click-installer)
The installation will proceed in automatic way. The average time of the whole installation process will be between 30 minutes and 1 hour. The command will initiate the download of the latest stable Plesk release.
Install Plesk Using Browser
Just in case your host or IP address is resolvable and port 8447 is open, you have an opportunity to launch the Plesk Onyx installer via a browser.
- Download installer:
- Add permissions for execution to downloaded Plesk installer:
chmod +x plesk-installer
- Initiate Plesk installer with the command below:
- Access Plesk installer via browser under port 8447 using IP address
- Access the web interface, use “root” user and password
- Select and click “Install or upgrade product”
- Choose the latest stable version of the product and press “Continue”
- Select one of the installation types, which will identify the packages list. Or you may just enable “Preview components selection” and choose all the components you like. Click “Continue” to proceed with the installation.
- You will see the console output inside the web interface. Wait until the installation process is over.
Installing Plesk via CLI
- Download Plesk installer:
- Add proper permissions to Plesk installer:
chmod +x plesk-installer
- Run Plesk installer via command line and follow instructions:
- First, you will need to confirm your decision by choosing “Go forward” and in case of –all-versions there will be option to choose the certain version of Plesk
- Wait until the installation process is done
Installing Plesk using ISO-images
There are special Plesk ISO-images for Ubuntu and CentOS Linux distros configured to install Plesk automatically.
Installation process is a matter of the following scope of steps:
- Virtual server parameters are configured and installation from ISO-image is launched
- Usual input is provided for OS installation
- OS installed on the server and upon finalization of the process the server is rebooted
- Plesk platform installation is performed as a background process
Install Plesk via Web Installer
- To install Plesk using Web Installer please open your browser and go to the following URL: https://get.plesk.com/
- Provide your server’s IP address or hostname, enter your root password or just add a private key.
- Accept the terms of the End-User License Agreement and click Install button
- Relax and wait for some time to let the installation be finalized.
- Click on the Login link. No worries about “secure connection warnings”, just make an exception.
Plesk Initial Configuration After Installation on Linux
As soon as Plesk installation is over, it is necessary to make tiny post-install configuration. You need to open in your browser the following url –
https://your-ip:8443 Access system using “root” username and its password.
- Enter contact information ( name and e-mail ) of the administrator
- Change the administrator’s account password. Next time you log into the system please use the “admin” username and your new password
- Select full trial or paid license. In case you’ve already purchased a paid license – please paste an activation code. In the opposite case you may still purchase it here or use a temporary trial license
- Accept end user agreement and enjoy the power of Plesk!